Do I need a license ?

Demo

Hi amateurdj.
It is the station responsibility to have all the correct licence in place and Not the DJ / Presenter so you are safe to distribute your pre-recorded shows to anyone who wants them.

amateurdj

Hi amateurdj.
It is the station responsibility to have all the correct licence in place and Not the DJ / Presenter so you are safe to distribute your pre-recorded shows to anyone who wants them.
Thanks a lot for the answer. I'll finish polishing up the first few episodes then.

Just as an add on question here does this extend to their being no need for a license on the client side with regards to 'format shifting' the songs into the recordings to the file that is sent to the broadcasters or is that a different minefield?

MedwayRadio

Thanks a lot for the answer. I'll finish polishing up the first few episodes then.

Just as an add on question here does this extend to their being no need for a license on the client side with regards to 'format shifting' the songs into the recordings to the file that is sent to the broadcasters or is that a different minefield?
You are right in that licensing is a minefield. Assuming you are talking about music licencing here and UK based

As mentioned previously, a station requires appropriate licencing in place to BROADCAST music and your show content may have to align with the conditions of the licence(s) the station has, for example, only a certain number of tracks within a timeframe, provide all the detail of the tracks etc etc.

However as a producer of a product you may need SEPARATE licences to those above. A PPL/PRS licence for COPYING commercial music comes to mind. A investigation/discussion with PRS/PPL/MCPS may be required. Good Luck

Last edited:

gulbis37

Who cares? My radio broadcast without any licences for ages like thousands others and nobody trouble me about ppl or PRS...maybe these radio stations which having hundreds of listeners are in trouble but if you got few listeners or sometimes even no one per day..who cares..